[Grammar] Tell me the difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

azeegum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi sir! How're you doing? I need you to help me in understanding the difference between INTERROGATIVE ADJECTIVE and INTERROGATIVE PRONOUN. I am sure that you will detail me about the question put above.
Thanking you in anticipation
Azhar

Hi azeegum,

The interrogative pronouns are: who, whom, whose, what and which. They have nominal functions:

1)Subject:
Who opened my letter? (who: subject; opened my letter: predicate)

When the wh-element is the subject it is immediately followed by the finite or conjugated verb, and there is no inversion of order.

2)Direct object:
Who (or whom) did you see? (you: subject; who did see: predicate; who/whom: direct object)

3)Indirect object (introduced by the preposition to):
Who did you give the present to? (you: subject; who to: indirect object)

4)Objet to the preposition:
With whom did you go? / Who did you go with? (with: preposition; whom/who: object to the preposition)

5)Subjective complement:
Whose is that book? (that book: subject; whose: subjective complement)

6)Objective complement:
What did they make him? (what: objective complement; him: direct object)

The interrogative adjectives are: whose, what and which. They have an adjectival function.

Which books have you lent him? (you: subject; which books: direct object)

The direct object is a noun phrase (which books). Within the noun phrase, ‘books’ functions as the Head (the most important word) and ‘which’ pre-modifies books. ‘Which’ is an interrogative adjective.

Whose antiques are these? (these: subject; whose antiques: subjective complement, noun phrase)

Note:
Which (pronoun and adjective) is used instead of ‘who and what’ when the choice is restricted.
What will you have to drink? (general inquiry)
There’s whisky, gin and sherry; which will you have? (restricted choice)

Thanks for such valuable information. It's really knowledgeable on your part.
Thanks again.
keep at such work.
I hope to come back again with some other question - I don't have enough time to use net these days. It's been hectic for me for many weeks.
Stay in touch.
Azhar Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back