Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Is it more natural to call things like bronze making a technology or technique?

"For one's future job, he needs to be well prepared, both psychologically and technically or technologically(Which one?)

Thank you!

I would say that bronze-making is an art, a technique or a talent. I definitely wouldn't call it technology.

In your main sentence, you can't use "one's" at the beginning and then use "he needs". Use either "For his future job" and "he needs", or "For one's future job" and "one needs".

The rule is that when one uses "one" in one's sentence one must continue to use "one until one's sentence ends.

Did I not make that clear in post #2?

Did I not make that clear in post #2?
You did make it clear in post #2. But it was regarding bronze-making, not the sentence below it.

I would like to know in this sentence""For one's future job, one needs to be well prepared, both psychologically and technically (technologically)"whether I should choose "technically" or "technologically".

Last edited:
Please read post #2 again, LeTyan.

Please read post #2 again, LeTyan.
Oh! Sorry I didn't notice that. I knew I was wrong about how to use "one" immediately after emsr2d2 pointed that out. I just didn't correct it here. Now I have edited it already. So is it Okay for you to take my follow-up question now:)?

Bronze-making in the sense of getting copper out of the ground and alloying it with tin is a technology invented in early Bronze Age (probably by mere coincidence. ;-) )
In your situation, it's not clear what "bronze making" is, so it's hard to say what to call it. Are you talking about making things out of bronze? I'm sure there are special techniques for this, and that special technologies are involved somewhere. I'd use "technically" if I had to choose.

Bronze-making in the sense of getting copper out of the ground and alloying it with tin is a technology invented in early Bronze Age (probably by mere coincidence. ;-) )
In your situation, it's not clear what "bronze making" is, so it's hard to say what to call it. Are you talking about making things out of bronze? I'm sure there are special techniques for this, and that special technologies are involved somewhere. I'd use "technically" if I had to choose.
Yes, your guess is exactly what I meant (getting copper out the ground and alloying it). So by that sense, "Bronze-making" can be classified as a technology.And if Alchemy were real, it can be "technology" as well right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back