Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about the maintenance of your car do the following statements make sense?

1.I try to keep my car safe and sound.
2. We don't do a diagnoatic test every year, only when something is broken down we will do maintenance.
3. We regularly take care of our car.
4.We do such things as changing oil, filing it up, changing wheels which depends on the season and cleaning the salon inside the car.

When talking about the maintenance of your car, do the following statements make sense?

1. space here I try to keep my car safe and sound. ❌
2. We don't do a diagnostic test every year; only when something is broken down will we will do maintenance.
3. We regularly take care of our car. ✅
4. space here We do such things as changing the oil, filling it up, changing the wheels tyres (which depends on the season) and cleaning the salon inside of the car.
1. We keep people safe and sound, not cars.
2. With my corrections to spelling, punctuation and word order, it's OK.
3. That's OK.
4. If by "filling it up" you mean "putting petrol/gas in it", that doesn't count as car maintenance. That's just required in order to drive it! Note the correct spelling of "filling". We don't change the entire wheel; we change the tyres. In BrE at least, the inside of a car isn't called the "salon". It's called the interior, so say either "cleaning the interior" or "cleaning the inside of the car".

1. We keep people safe and sound, not cars.
2. With my corrections to spelling, punctuation and word order, it's OK.
3. That's OK.
4. If by "filling it up" you mean "putting petrol/gas in it", that doesn't count as car maintenance. That's just required in order to drive it! Note the correct spelling of "filling". We don't change the entire wheel; we change the tyres. In BrE at least, the inside of a car isn't called the "salon". It's called the interior, so say either "cleaning the interior" or "cleaning the inside of the car".
So instead of using "safe and sound" I can say we take care of it, can't I?
Is the inversion used to emphasize the only time when we do that or does it have another meaning too?
2. We don't do a diagnostic test every year; only when something is broken down will we will do maintenance.

So Instead of using "safe and sound", I can say we take care of it, can't I?
Note my changes above. Please don't get into the annoying habit (that many native English speakers have too) of starting sentences with "so".
Yes. In BrE, we'd say "I try to look after my car".
Is the inversion used to emphasize the only time when we do that or does it have another meaning too?
The inversion is required after "only when".

Only when I have extra money do I buy treats for myself.
Only when the war is over will we risk going back to our house.
Only when you apologise will I forgive you.

Maintenance is upkeep. We don't wait until something is broken to do maintenance. Read the owner's manual. It will tell you what to do regularly.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back