Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Is there any special rule of "No + noun " for tag question. what would be the tag question of the following sentence -"No man is allowed ".

I have got a book. It suggests that it should be " isn't any? " But it seems to be wrong to me.

Always tell us the title and author of any book you quote from, please – starting with this one.

Sorry to say that I have only this chapter separated from the main book. However, I will try to give authors name from now on if I quite something from books.

Sorry to say that I have only this chapter separated from the main book. However, I will try to give the author's name from now on if I quote something from books.

See above.

Is there any special rule of "No + noun[no space]" for a tag question? What would be the tag question for the following sentence: "No man is allowed[no space]".

I've never thought about it. I suppose it's often a verb and a pronoun. Examples:

- is he?
- can't I?
- didn't I?
- isn't it?
- will she?
- can you?
- did they?
- should I?
- are we?
- wouldn't they?
- shall we?
- weren't they?

And sometimes another verb can get added:

- don't you think?
- wouldn't you say?

So I can't name a rule, but that might help you with conversation.

Last edited:
I have a book. It suggests that it should be "[no space]isn't any[no space]" But it seems to be wrong to me.

You're right. The book is wrong.

I can't think of a sentence that could use "isn't any?" as a question tag. We could say "What if there isn't any?", but that's not a tag, it's part of the sentence.

It could also be a follow-up question: "I was hoping some food would be here. Isn't any?" But that's not a tag, either. It's a separate sentence.

It's not really a sentence that seems very natural to tag in the first place, in my opinion.

Even though it's grammatically correct, it still seems somehow unfinished when removed from any context. No man is allow to what? No man is allowed where?

Grammar purists might not like it, but some would use are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back