Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Suddenly, I snapped to attention for an awesome creature, ugly or misshapen was moving up the alley.

What word should I use to replace the word 'awesome'? The choices are remarkable, frightening, amazing, splendid.

The answer given is 'remarkable'. However, I think that it should 'frightening'. Am I correct?

As an aside, is 'for' redundant?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Suddenly, I snapped to attention for an awesome creature, ugly or misshapen was moving up the alley.

What word should I use to replace the word 'awesome'? The choices are remarkable, frightening, amazing, splendid.

The answer given is 'remarkable'. However, I think that it should 'frightening'. Am I correct?

Thanks.

It needs a comma after "attention". Even then, it's not a very natural sentence.

The answer given is 'remarkable'. However, I think that it should be 'frightening'. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Something can be awesome without being frightening so that wouldn't be the obvious replacement. For me, "remarkable" is the best choice, followed by "amazing" or "splendid". The only one I wouldn't use there would be "frightening". We infer from the fact that it is an ugly and misshapen creature that it is probably frightening but that doesn't mean you can necessarily use that word as a replacement. It would be an alternative.

"For" is not redundant. It is there instead of the word "because". You need something between "attention" and "an" if it's going to remain as one sentence. If you wanted to split it into two sentences then you could remove "for" but it wouldn't necessarily be clear that the creature's approach was the reason for your snapping to attention.

Thanks.

I think "frightening" is as good as any of those answers. Yes, it could be remarkable as well.
I can't see the point of the question though. It's really not obvious at all what the writer of that sentence meant by "awesome".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back