Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
England
Hi!
I'm from Sweden but I've just moved to London and a lot of people tells me that I have a "funny accent" haha. I was just wondering what the typical pronunciation mistakes are for Swedish people speaking English?
I can hear what's wrong if someone from, lets say India, speaks English, but when it comes to my own language I can't hear what's wrong :)

www.manythings.org includes pronunciation exercises for speakers of English. And don't worry about your "funny accent". Everyone has one depending on what country or section of a country they visit.

There can be misplaced stress and some sounds that aren't quite right, but don't worry too much as they'll go or reduce. :up:

I get very angry when ignorant native speakers of English mock the attempts of others to speak English.

But :)oops:) I have to admit that I had immense difficulty in controlling my mirth when I travelled from Tallinn to Stockhom on a Swedish ship once. I was sitting quietly having a drink in the large ball-room when the whole crew, one after another, starting with a cabin boy and finishing with the captain, stepped up on the stage to welcome the passengers aboard. I regret to say that they all sounded to me like this. :oops:

That chef has a lot to answer for. ;-)

And I thought that in the Nordic countries, all the people know at least some English. Probably not that good at pronunciation, though.

Didn't think YouTube would have that one! I saw it first time around (on Not the Nine O'clock News - Sunday evenings will never be the same). ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back