Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote the following paragraph but I am not sure about two places:

Sunshine Coffee Hotel offers airy rooms, clean bathrooms and comfortable beds. It's inexpensive compared to the other nearby hotels, and the breakfast is included.

Context: There's a hotel called Sunshine Coffee in a small town, the town is a tourist destination. There are many hotels in that town because it welcomes hundreds of thousands visitors every day. I wrote the above about the Sunshine Coffee Hotel.

a) I think the "the" is optional here. Not far from Sunshine Coffee Hotels, there are many hotels, and there are still more which are a bit far away from it.
b) I don't think the "the" is needed. Am I right?

I wrote the following paragraph but I am not sure about two places things:

Sunshine Coffee Hotel offers airy roots, clean bathrooms and comfortable beds. It's inexpensive compared to (a) the other nearby hotels, and (b) the breakfast is included.

Context: There's a hotel called Sunshine Coffee in a small town; the town is a tourist destination. There are many hotels in that town because it welcomes hundreds of thousands visitors every day. I wrote the above about the Sunshine Coffee Hotel.

a) I think the "the" is optional here. Not far from Sunshine Coffee Hotels, there are many hotels, and there are still more which are a bit far further away. from it.
b) I don't think the "the" is needed. Am I right?
a) That "the" is optional. If you want to refer to all the hotels nearby, use the article. If you want to mean some of those other hotels, omit it.
b) It's optional but it's much more natural without it.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back