Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think that so much of what this community is and what it is that we celebrate about this community is not always succinct with what it is brands and advertisers may be excited about promoting their products on this platform is.
(In Defense of Rewind 2018; YouTube)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether I've heard it correctly?

Thanks.

It sure sounds like he's saying succinct, using a common pronunciation that drops the first /k/ sound. The word doesn't make sense there.

I wonder if he thinks it means in sync.

I've never heard anyone pronounce succinct with more than half of the consonants missing! I've no idea what he says, but if it is meant to be succinct, then he's using it in completely the wrong way.

I've never heard anyone pronounce succinct with more than half of the consonants missing! I've no idea what he says, but if it is meant to be succinct, then he's using it in completely the wrong way.

I've heard Americans pronounce it like "suh-sinct". And I've known Americans to substitute similar-sounding words, like installation for insulation. So I can readily imagine the speaker thinks succinct is pronounced as in the video and that it means "in sync".

I think that is what he says, though he may not know the meaning of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back