Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
I have doubt on choosing these underlined words.

In my school days, I spent most of my time studying/reading historical/historic novels/books.

This subject was so appealing to me that I took some extra classes/courses from time to time to learn more about it.

Last edited:
That's a lot of questions for a single post. I'll answer one: novels are books, but nonfiction books are not novels. A novel is a book of fiction which sets a scene and tells a story.

That's a lot of questions for a single post.
Sorry for bothering you. I 'll post the other questions on a separate thread.

So, it seems that the following can be correct:
In my school days, I spent most of my time studying historical books.

It would be more natural to say I spent most of my time studying history books.

In my school days, I spent most of my time studying historical books.
Those would be individual books which had historical importance as objects, like a Wittenberg bible, not books about history.

I don't think you should say study books. You study history, not the books.

I don't think you should say study books. You study history, not the books.
So, maybe I should say:
"When I was at school, I spent most of my time reading history books."
"When I was at school, I spent most of my time studying history."

So, maybe I should say:
"When I was at school, I spent most of my time reading history books."
"When I was at school, I spent most of my time studying history."

Exactly, yes.

I see you are also asking the same questions here.

The world of English language forums is not huge and many people reply on more than one forum. Some users think that by asking the same question on multiple forums they will be getting lots of answers, but people who answer across forums get tired of seeing the same questions. Please ask your question on one forum at a time. Once one forum has dealt with it, then post it to another forum. If you don't, you will simply drive the most engaged responders from your posts, which will have the opposite effect to that intended.

Sorry teachers and other helpers. I didn't want to post the same questions on more than one forum. Actually, I didn't post simultenously if you noticed the time differences. I didn't get any replies from this post, so I tried to post in another forum. But, after hours GoesStation replied to my post. Sorry again. I know this will be a waste of time for you all.

You'll notice that questions get answered here within a day - usually within an hour. Just wait a day before going somewhere else.

... and give us a link to answers you have had from the other forum (like I did in post #10) so that we don't need to repeat any answers.

You'll notice that questions get answered here within a day - usually within an hour. Just wait a day before going somewhere else.
Sure.
... and give us a link to answers you have had from the other forum (like I did in post #10) so that we don't need to repeat any answers.
Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back