Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
As I know, a verb should come with an adverb, not adjective (except for linking verbs). I don't know why people say: "Study smarter, not harder". Study is not a linking verb, and smart is an adjective.

I think the simplest way for a learner to understand this is to see these comparative words as adverbs.

drive faster
eat better

work harder
study smarter

As I know, a verb should come with an adverb, not adjective (except for linking verbs). I don't know why people say: "Study smarter, not harder". Study is not a linking verb, and smart is an adjective.

Given the choice between "more smartly" and "smarter" in the sentence in question, the latter form is needed for parallelism's (not just idiomaticity's) sake:

Study smarter, not harder.
?* Study more smartly, not harder.

Note that "more hardly" is not even an option here, the adverb "hardly" having a completely different meaning from the adverb "hard."

Thank you all for your explanation. I also see: "Study smart, not hard", so "smart" should be considered an adverb here. It does sound better than "smartly".

I prefer using the positive, "study smart, not hard" rather than the comparative, which you are supposed to make a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back