Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley.

Could you help me understand why there is no comma here? This is extra information, I would say it should be separated with a comma.

1649492513154.png

It's an error. It should either have a comma before "which" or "which" should be changed to "that". The latter change would also change the meaning.

I think the comma isn't included because the writer intended to use a defining relative clause. In other words, it isn't extra information—it's a reference to only those computer related skills that would help students in the future careers.

It's quite normal to use which instead of that in this kind of defining clause, in British English, at least.

I think the phrase "computer-related skills which will help them with their future careers" is a mistake. Why? Without the comma after "skills", it suggests that there are some computer-related skills that would not help them with their future careers. (Which ones are those?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back