Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation was between Thomas and me. Last week, some parts of my city (my city is very big) were reported to have Covid cases. Usually here we ban the whole place/area/part where the cases appear and live for 14 days to stop the spread of the disease. Some places were accordingly raised to "medium-risk". We have definitions for "low-risk", "high-risk" besides that. Now there are still some "medium-risk" places/parts (of the city) and we soon recover to normal.

Thomas: So Chongqing is still a medium-risk city, it's a good excuse for people to stay home this weekend and read.
Silver: Strictly speaking, some areas are still of medium risk, not the city.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The following conversation was between Thomas and me. Last week, some parts of my city, which is quite large, [STRIKE](my city is very big)[/STRIKE] were reported to have Covid cases. Usually here we [STRIKE]ban[/STRIKE] lock down/quarantine the whole place/area/part where the cases appear [STRIKE]and live[/STRIKE] for 14 days to stop the spread of the disease. Some places were accordingly [STRIKE]raised to[/STRIKE] designated "medium-risk". We have definitions for "low-risk", "high-risk" besides that. Now there are still some "medium-risk" places/parts (of the city) and we soon recover to normal.

Thomas: So Chongqing is still a medium-risk city. It's a good excuse for people to stay home this weekend and read.
Silver: Strictly speaking, (only) some areas are still [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] medium risk, not the entire/whole city.
Is the italic sentence natural?
See above. I don't understand how the underlined part connects with the rest of that sentence.

I don't understand how the underlined part connects with the rest of that sentence.

Much appreciated, teechar. It's because it's been 10 days since those areas were closed and we haven't had new cases since then, it means that it's safe so it'll soon become normal.

I wonder if "some areas are still medium risk" should be "some areas are still medium risky"? Because "medium risk" is a noun phrase and here we need an adjective. Please enlighten me.

Perhaps you mean something like "At the moment, there are still some medium-risk areas in the city, but they will soon return to normal".

Much appreciated, teechar. It's because it's been [STRIKE]10[/STRIKE] ten days since those areas were closed off, and we haven't had new cases since then, [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] which means that it's safe for the restrictions to be lifted/eased there. [STRIKE]so it'll soon become normal.[/STRIKE]
See above.

I wonder if "some areas are still medium risk" should be "some areas are still medium risky" because "medium risk" is a noun phrase and here we need an adjective. Please enlighten me.
[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]
No! That would be wrong.

Now, there are still some "medium-risk" places/parts [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in the city, but restrictions should soon be lifted/eased there. [STRIKE]and we soon recover to normal.[/STRIKE]

How about "some areas are still classified as medium-risk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back