Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I say "strict on" in the following sentence?

The school is strict on students' attendance. If students don't get 95% of attendance, they can't get subsidies.

It's acceptable, but 'strict about' is more common.

I would also use "student attendance" instead of "students' attendance".

Try:

The school is strict about students' attendance. If they don't attend school at at least a 95% level they won't receive subsidies.

I wouldn't use "get ... attendance."

Last edited by a moderator:

The school is strict about attendance. If it's less than 95%, the school can't get subsidies.
Yes to all the above. And your use of "they" makes it sound as if it's the students who won't get subsidies.

And you don't need to say student at all. When a school talks about attendance, it's always talking about students.

Yes to all the above. And your use of "they" makes it sound as if it's the students who won't get subsidies.

And you don't need to say student at all. When a school talks about attendance, it's always talking about students.

Actually the subsidies are for students.:-D

And your use of "they" makes it makes it sound as if it's the students who won't get subsidies.

Well, that was my impression.
:)

Well, it did occur to me that they want the teachers to show up too.
:)

Last edited:

The school is strict on students' attendance. If students don't get 95% of attendance, they can't get subsidies.

You might consider using "tough on absenteeism" instead. "Tough on" is more common than "strict on" but needs a suitable object (something negative).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back