Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
[FONT=&quot]Dear teachers,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?[/FONT]

A very stout, puffy man, in buckskins and Hessian boots, with several immense neck-cloths that rose almost to his nose, with a red striped waistcoat and an apple green coat with steel buttons almost as large as crown pieces (it was the morning costume of a dandy or blood of those days) was reading the paper by the fire when the two girls entered, and bounced off his arm-chair, and blushed excessively, and hid his entire face almost in his neck-cloths at this apparition.

stout = bulky in figure; thickset or corpulent

puffy = bloated, swollen

a crown piece = a silver coin formerly used in Great Britain and worth five shillings

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

[FONT=&quot]Dear teachers,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?[/FONT]

A very stout, puffy man, in buckskins and Hessian boots, with several immense neck-cloths that rose almost to his nose, with a red striped waistcoat and an apple green coat with steel buttons almost as large as crown pieces (it was the morning costume of a dandy or blood of those days) was reading the paper by the fire when the two girls entered, and bounced off his arm-chair, and blushed excessively, and hid his entire face almost in his neck-cloths at this apparition.

stout = bulky in figure; thickset or corpulent

puffy = bloated, swollen

a crown piece = a silver coin formerly used in Great Britain and worth five shillings

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Yes.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back