Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do we say 'storm happens'? Like if I am telling you the story of the movie interstellar then should I say "In the movie interstellar when protagonist and his daughter return home from school "a storm is happening" and they close all the windows in the house but to no avail because the house was already covered in dust'?

Do we say "storm happens" or "storm comes" or "storm goes on"?

We do say "There has been a storm" means storm has stopped now. Am I correct?

Do we say "storm happens" or "storm comes" or "storm goes on"?
All of them are possible.

We do say "There has been a storm" means storm has stopped now. Am I correct?
If I say there has been a storm I'm talking about a storm that has ended.

Do we say that a no quotation mark here storm 'happens'? Like For example, if I am telling you the story of the movie "Interstellar", then should I say "In the movie "Interstellar", when the protagonist and his daughter return home from school, no quotation marks here a storm is happening no quotation marks here then so they close all the windows in the house, but to no avail because the house was already covered in dust"?
Note my changes above. You really must start remembering to capitalise the titles of films/books etc, regardless of where they come in a sentence. They should also be in quotation marks or in italics.
Do we say a storm "happens", or "storm "comes" or "storm "goes on"?
As usual, please give us a complete sentence for each verb.
We do say "There has been a storm", means meaning the storm has stopped now. Am I correct?
It's possible to say that.

Note my changes above. You really must start remembering to capitalise the titles of films/books etc, regardless of where they come in a sentence. They should also be in quotation marks or in italics.

As usual, please give us a complete sentence for each verb.

It's possible to say that.
1) When John reached home from work a storm was happening so he closed all the doors and windows.

2) When John reached home from work a storm was going on so he closed all the doors and windows.

1) When John reached got/came home from work, a storm was happening so he closed all the doors and windows.
2) When John reached got/came home from work, a storm was going on so he closed all the doors and windows.
Whilst I can't say that "happening" and "going on" are 100% wrong, neither is natural. I'd use a more descriptive verb in the simple past continuous there, such as "was raging". Failing that, I'd say "It was very stormy when John got home from work so he closed ..." or "It was raining really hard when John ...".

I might say:

It was storming outside.

Or:

The rain was pouring down.

It was dark out. The clouds blotted out the sun. The rain was pouring down.

It was storming inside.

That sounds even more unnatural to me.

I talked to my usage consultant (an American). Guess what she said. 😊

How about:

a storm descended
a storm struck
a storm hit
a storm befell

How about:

a storm descended
a storm struck
a storm hit
a storm befell
The first three work if the storm started just as John got home. However, the OP said that the storm was already ongoing when he got home.
"Befell" doesn't work in the context of a storm.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back