Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Stefan was late for work again today.

So I'm studying about present perfect - past simple differences. I saw this sentence in an exercise. I pondered about this sentece here are my questions and assumptions.

1- This sentence was said after work day. I know that present perfect isn't used for a finished period of time. By the way I assume this sentence was said later that day's night, I mean after work when everybody went to their home. Although the day wasn't over, the ''work'' day was over.

2- Keeping in mind first assumption. İf I wanted to express that Stefan was late during the work day (while everybody work let's say in the office ) would I say ''Stefan has been late for wok again today'' ?

So basically I'm confused a little bit. Could you tell me when to use '' Stefan was late for work again today'' / '' Stefan has been late for work again today''

"Stefan was late for work again today."

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I'm studying about present perfect/past simple differences. I saw that sentence in an exercise.

Do not start sentences with "So" unless you mean "Therefore."

I wondered about the sentence. Here are my questions and assumptions.

1- This sentence was said after the work day.

No, the sentence doesn't say that. He might still be at work.

I know that present perfect isn't used for a finished period of time. [STRIKE]By the way[/STRIKE]I assume the sentence was said later that [STRIKE]day's[/STRIKE] night, I mean after work when everybody went to their home.

Again, the sentence does not say that. It might be noon, it might be midnight. We don't know without more information.

Although the day wasn't over, the work' day was over.

Again, we don't know that. Stefan might still be at work.

2- Keeping in mind my first assumption, if I wanted to express that Stefan was late during the work day[STRIKE] (while everybody work let's say in the office )[/STRIKE], would I say ''Stefan has been late for work again today''[no space]?

Your first assumption is wrong.

You have already expressed that Sefan was late for work.

So basically I'm a bit confused[STRIKE] a little bit[/STRIKE]. Could you tell me when to use '' Stefan was late for work again today'' and when to use ''[no space]Stefan has been late for work again today''?

Don't use "has been" in that sentence. It doesn't make sense. Either he was late or he wasn't.

If this is his third day coming to work late, you can say, "Stefan has been late for work three days in a row."
Where did you find the sentence? Always tell us the source.

Thank you for your corrections. I wouldn't think I would do that many mistakes. I guess my source is one of the old oxford's grammar handbooks. It seems I noted that sentence to my questions notebook.

Thank you for your corrections. I didn't think I would make that many mistakes. I guess my source is one of the old Oxford grammar handbooks. It seems I noted that sentence in my questions notebook.
You're welcome!

There's nothing wrong with mistakes as long as you learn from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You weren't "studying about" anything. You were simply "studying" it/them.

present perfect - past simple differences

the differences between the past perfect and past simple tense.

everybody went t[STRIKE]o their[/STRIKE] home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back