Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Are the following sentences correct and what does sentence one mean?

1- We stay in a big house near the beach.

2-We are staying in a big house near the beach.

1. That's where you live.
2. That's where you are spending your nights.

1. You often spend at least a couple of days in the house. You can use this sentence only if you've already established a habitual or repeated time frame: We go to Kelleys Island for a week every spring. We stay in a big house near the beach.

2. You are currently spending time in the house.

It's been a while since I heard "Where do you stay?" As I recall, I thought the person was asking about the other person's permanent residence. (It's possible that I'm wrong and Goes is right. It's also possible that we are both right.)

Hm.

:x-mas:

Using "stay" to mean "live" is really not common these days. Sentence 1, for me, would only be used when expressing a habitual action.

John: What do you do every Christmas?
Helen: I have a lovely break with my family. We stay in a big house near the beach.

In that situation, it's clear that it's the accommodation used for a holiday/short break.

The second sentence would be used to express a future plan or a current situation.

John: What are you and your family doing this Christmas?
Helen: We're staying in a big house near the beach. (Refers to the future)

John: I knocked on your door earlier today but there was no answer. Where are you?
Helen: I'm with my family. We're staying in a big house near the beach. (Refers to the current situation/location)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back