Starting a sentence with a gerund or infinitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am trying to rephrase the following sentence in the form of sentences A and B. Which one is grammatical and more idiomatic?
"I gathered more information and took many factors into account to narrow down the available possibilities."

A-"To narrow down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"
B-"Narrowing down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"

Thanks a lot.

If the reason you gathered the information was to narrow the possibilities, use the first.

The second suggest you narrowed before you started to gather.

I am trying to rephrase the following sentence in the form of sentences A and B. Which one is grammatical and more idiomatic?
"I gathered more information and took many factors into account to narrow down the available possibilities."

A-"To narrow down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"
B-"Narrowing down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"

Thanks a lot.

In your sentence B, "narrowing" is a participle, not a gerund.

In your sentence B, "narrowing" is a participle, not a gerund.
Thanks a lot. Could you give me some more information about the difference of them?

Thanks a lot. Could you give me some more information about the difference of them?

Both present participles and gerunds are -ing forms of verbs. Gerunds are used as nouns, present participles are used as modifiers. There is a lot of information available on the Internet if you Google those words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back