Start a sentence with "which"

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 64,960
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Can you start a sentence with "which" when not asking a question?

Which way you answer that question depends on the perspective you bring.

Won't that work?

Won't that work?

It might, but it's not a construction I would use. I would rather say; 'The way you answer that question...'

Can you start a sentence with "which" when not asking a question?

Yes, you can, e.g.

Which colour tie you choose will probably depend on your mood.

Or, 'The colour of tie you choose will probably depend on your mood.'

Won't that work?

Yes, you can, e.g.

Which colour tie you choose will probably depend on your mood.

Agreed. The short answer No would work if you tightened up the original question: "Can you start a sentence with 'which' when it's used as a relative pronoun?"

The OP used "which when it's not a question word" - and so didn't exclude the acceptable use when "which" is [implicitly] a question word in indirect speech.

(Of course, this only applies to the written language. If I write "She came too - which was lucky.", that's grammatical. But "She came too. Which was lucky" wouldn't be OK in a formal context. The words are the same though, and the meaning's the same.)

b

Agreed. The short answer No would work if you tightened up the original question: "Can you start a sentence with 'which' when it's used as a relative pronoun?"
Which of the above you believe is up to you.

Wouldn't that work?

Or, 'The colour of tie you choose will probably depend on your mood.'

Yes, no disagreement that the sentence could be rephrased without 'which', but a full and fair answer to the questioner's query has to be 'yes'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back