Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I want to suggest the recent pandemic should start a debate about protecting the environment. Can I use "kindle" or "spark" instead of start?

Does this work?

I think this recent pandemic should be a wake-up call and spark/kindle a debate about how we protect the environment. We don't respect nature and that needs to change.

"Spark" is more common with "debates. Or generate/trigger/set off.

The pandemic is current, not recent.

Is this okay?

I think this pandemic should be a wake-up call and spark a debate about how we protect the environment. We don't respect nature and that needs to change.

"Spark" is more common with "debates. Or generate/trigger/set off.
Or launch, inspire, lead to, result in, turn into, instigate . . . .

Should the debate be about how we protect the environment or how we fail to? Or do you mean to better protect the environment?

Should the debate be about how we protect the environment or how we fail to? Or do you mean to better protect the environment?

A general debate about better protecting the environment.

Is this also correct?

I think this pandemic should be a wake-up call and instigate a serious debate about how better we can protect the environment. We don't respect nature and that needs to change.

No, "instigate" is used in the negative sense, as in "instigate trouble/fight".

Right—don't use instigate. What happened to spark?

I saw "instigate" here and I wanted to see if it works.

It's not terrible, but there are other possibilities that are just as good or better. (My opinion.)
:)

Is this also correct?

I think this pandemic should be a wake-up call and instigate a serious debate about how better we can protect the environment. We don't respect nature and that needs to change.
Here's a small note about style:

It helps to use qualifiers sparingly. Either use I think/will (I think this pandemic will be) or should (This pandemic should be) — not both.

I prefer "should be" because it's obviously what you think: If you didn't think it, you wouldn't say it. But both are natural and mean more or less the same thing.

I used to work for a guy who used way too many qualifiers. I wrote one down once at a meeting so I wouldn't forget it: "I guess I think I sort of feel that maybe . . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back