Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Should I say star or stars or the stars in the sentence below?

we should make ourselves at home at every dot of star.

Thanks.

The sentence is meaningless to me with 'star' or 'stars'.

Sorry, I want to say that we should make ourselves feel at home everywhere we go, including at the stars (star or stars?). It is not logical, but I am just trying to be poetic.

Thanks.

we should make ourselves feel at home everywhere we go, including at the stars

iamtime.
Perhaps: "We should make ourselves feel at home wherever we go, even among the stars."

not a teacher

I have noticed that in several of your threads you have expressed the wish to use poetic language

Far be it from me to discourage you, but you do run the risk of ending up with sentences that, while theoretically possible, just do not sound English.

If you wish to write poetry in English, I suggest that you post your work in the Poetry, Prose & Songs forum, with a request for comments, criticism and suggestions. You may receive more useful advice there. In the Ask a Teacher Forum, some of us know something about grammar and vocabulary, but we may not have particularly poetic souls.

I have noticed that in several of your threads you have expressed the wish to use poetic language

Far be it from me to discourage you, but you do run the risk of ending up with sentences that, while theoretically possible, just do not sound English.

If you wish to write poetry in English, I suggest that you post your work in the Poetry, Prose & Songs forum, with a request for comments, criticism and suggestions. You may receive more useful advice there. In the Ask a Teacher Forum, some of us know something about grammar and vocabulary, but we may not have particularly poetic souls.

Thank you very much for the link :)

we should make ourselves feel at home everywhere we go, including at the stars

iamtime.
Perhaps: "We should make ourselves feel at home wherever we go, even among the stars."

not a teacher

Thank you very much for your suggestion, JMurray. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back