[Essay] ...stalactites and stalagmites...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

The new passageway snaked downward for about ten metres and then opened out into a chamber that glistened with moisture under the light of the torches. Over time the water that had created the caves had diminished and moved its course and volume changing ever so slowly over many millennia.

Gan and Lili held their torches high so as to get a better look at the cave. The light of the torches revealed stalactites and stalagmites, stone surfaces that were stained by various mineral impurities, mostly browns and yellows, but in some places, there were reds, blues, and greens. Puddles both large and small dotted the floor, but none were more than a few centimetres deep.

Lili commented. “It’s beautiful. I have never seen beauty like this before, it’s simply magical.” Lili had become entranced by what she saw, but it was broken by the sound of Gan jumping in puddles like a child. “What are you doing?”

Gan stopped, smiled, and chuckled. “I’m testing the fun factor for Lanhua and the other kids, they’re going to love this place, but we have to know it is safe.”

Lili rolled her eyes. “You’re such a big kid, Gan.”

Last edited:
I am not sure that the new passageway works with so many millennia.

I agree with Tdol. I might drop new. Other than that though it could hardly be better.
:up:

I am not sure that the new passageway works with so many millennia.

You are right. Maybe I should say: newly discovered passageway. Now Is there any room to improve, or do you have something to share?

The newly discovered passageway snaked downward for about ten metres and then opened out into a chamber that glistened with moisture under the light of the torches. Over time the water that had created the caves had diminished and moved, its course and volume changing ever so slowly over many millennia.

Gan and Lili held their torches high so as to get a better look at the cave. The light of the torches revealed stalactites and stalagmites, stone surfaces that were stained by various mineral impurities, mostly browns and yellows, but in some places, there were reds, blues, and greens. Puddles both large and small dotted the floor, but none were more than a few centimetres deep.

Lili commented. “It’s beautiful. I have never seen beauty like this before, it’s simply magical.” Lili had become entranced by what she saw, but it was broken by the sound of Gan jumping in puddles like a child. “What are you doing?”

Gan stopped, smiled, and chuckled. “I’m testing the fun factor for Lanhua and the other kids, they’re going to love this place, but we have to know it is safe.”

Lili rolled her eyes. “You’re such a big kid, Gan.”

By the way, wish you all a very merry christmas and a happy and prosperous new year, Tarheel, Charlie Bernstein, Tdol and all the other working staff here!

Last edited:
How about down instead of downward?

How about down instead of downward?

Yeah, 'down' is clearer and simpler. 'downwards' may be another choice as well.

Yeah, 'down' is clearer and simpler. 'downwards' may be another choice as well.
It is, though I feel that when you have a choice, it's usually good not to pluralize prepositions, adverbs, and whatnot. Downward is stronger than downwards, toward is stronger than towards, in regard is stronger than in regards, while is stronger than whilst and whiles, afterward is stronger than afterwards, anyway is stronger than anyways.

The S's are frills that add no meaning. (At least in American English. It might not be true in the UK.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back