Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Am I the only one left who thinks that in a recipe which calls for 4 spoons of anything, it must say 4 spoonsfull of salt/sugar/whatever?

I read spoonfulls,bowlfulls, cupfulls etc. etc.

My spellcheck on my computer marks spoonsfull as incorrect.

Am I the only one left who thinks that in a recipe which calls for 4 spoons of anything, it must say 4 spoonsfull of salt/sugar/whatever?

"Spoonsfull" is correct, I bet your spellchecker is American.;-)

"Spoonsfull" is correct, I bet your spellchecker is American.;-)

Of course, it's American.................. it also tells me that honour, labour, neighbour, etc. etc. are incorrect. :roll:

Over on this side of the pond we do tend to use spoonfuls more often than spoonsful. My dictionary tells me it is optional and my U.S. spellchecker tells me it is spoonful. Neither one offers me "spoonsfull."

Once again, two great nations separated by a common language!

Over on this side of the pond we do tend to use spoonfuls more often than spoonsful. My dictionary tells me it is optional and my U.S. spellchecker tells me it is spoonful. Neither one offers me "spoonsfull."...
So the spellchecker might just be objecting to the extra l.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back