Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Uruguay
Current Location
United States
Hello, again!

I'd like to know if this underlined bit of text is correct and whether it sounds natural or not:

"So, where are we going?" Joe tapped his fingers on the dashboard, and continued to blow gum bubbles.
"I don't know," Mark changed gears, silently, waiting for some reaction that never came.
"Maybe somewhere around Southern Italy. It's supposed to be cold, yeah?. I think you'd like that."

In the south of Italy sounds bad to me so I wanted to check if the alternative above is fine.

Thank you for your help!

Please tell us the source and author of your quoted text, lolipop.

It's me. I'm writing a novel!

The alternative is fine, but don't capitalise southern.

In the south of Italy is natural.

Oh! Is that so in everyday conversation, too? I'd read in some other websites that native English-speakers considered it quite the odd construction. Maybe it's a regional thing, though!

I personally prefer "In southern Italy". Both are correct.

The usual way to refer to southern France is the south of France. I don't see any reason to avoid the same formula for Italy.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my questions about English usage would be deemed all too elemental there! I will do so if you suggest it, though!

Hello, again!

I'd like to know if this underlined bit of text is correct and whether it sounds natural or not:

"So, where are we going?" Joe tapped his fingers on the dashboard, and continued to blow gum bubbles.
"I don't know," Mark changed gears, silently, waiting for some reaction that never came.
"Maybe somewhere around Southern Italy. It's supposed to be cold, yeah?. I think you'd like that."

In the south of Italy sounds bad to me so I wanted to check if the alternative above is fine.

Thank you for your help!

Not a teacher but from Sicily

South Italy has always been hot, today there are 26 degrees which is hot in October (ok still September). This wants to be a tip for your novel.

I personally prefer "In southern Italy". Both are correct.

I prefer in too. Around for heading to one place doesn't work as well for me.

"In the south of Italy" has a poetic nature that works in a way that "in the west of Minnesota" doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back