Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For the frequency order of the following words.
Do you perceive them as in the table?

1.sometimes vs occasionally - Is "'occasional" perceived as lower than "sometimes"?
2. usually vs normally - Is "normally" perceived as lower than "usually"? Before I thought the two are the same.

https://www.grammar.cl/Basic/Adverbs_Frequency.htm
FrequencyAdverb of FrequencyExample Sentence
100%alwaysI always go to bed before 11 p.m.
90%usuallyI usually have cereal for breakfast.
80%normally / generallyI normally go to the gym.
70%often* / frequentlyI often surf the internet.
50%sometimesI sometimes forget my wife's birthday.
30%occasionallyI occasionally eat junk food.
10%seldomI seldom read the newspaper.
5%hardly ever / rarelyI hardly ever drink alcohol.
0%neverI never swim in the sea.

You didn't quote the sentence below that chart:

These are also known as Adverbs of INDEFINITE frequency as the exact frequency is not defined,
showing that there's room for some subjective variations.

Two things. One, it's just a rough guide for ESL learners. (Native speakers would be unlikely to consult such a chart.) Two, I see usually, normally, and generally as all being about the same.

I suggest that you look at it to get an idea of how those words are used and then forget it.

Despite the subjective variations and the inexactness of the words, yes, I take "occasionally" to mean less frequently than "sometimes".

No. No. No.

I think that's an awful way of understanding the use of those words, for any student at or above a lower intermediate level.

I agree that using those absolute numbers is not entirely helpful. For instance, I would not use 90% (or any fixed percentage) for "usually"; it depends on the context.

Keannu, you can see from the above discussion that there is a lot of elasticity when it comes to interpreting those adverbs.

Last edited:
There's so much wrong with that list, keannu.

For a start, usually and normally should not be on that list. They do not express frequency in the same way as the other words. It's lists like this that perpetuate incorrect use of those two words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back