Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I have learnt that it's wrong to use "sometimes" in a negative sentence between the verbs, for example, "I don't sometimes read in the evening", but is it also wrong in questions between verbs? For example, "Do you sometimes read in the evenings?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a teacher
------

I think it is possible, although in very rare and specific cases, to use sometimes in the middle of a negative sentence.

G: I've heard you sometimes read in the evening, S.
S: No, I don't sometimes read in the evening. I always read in the evening.

You'd expect noticeable emphasis on sometimes and always.

Not a teacher
------

I think it is possible, although in very rare and specific cases, to use sometimes in the middle of a negative sentence.

G: I've heard you sometimes read in the evening, S.
S: No, I don't sometimes read in the evening. I always read in the evening.

You'd expect noticeable emphasis on sometimes and always.

Can the emphasis be expressed with intonation and in the usual place in the sentence? "I sometimes don't read in the evening"?

Can the emphasis be expressed with intonation and in the usual place in the sentence? "I sometimes don't read in the evening"?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

I only wanted to provide an example where "I don't sometimes verb" is possible and correct, even if applicable in very rare and specific contexts . My example in post #3, "I don't sometimes read in the evening", has a completely different meaning from "I sometimes don't read in the evening" in your post #4. They communicate two very different ideas and they are not comparable at all. No amount of emphasis will ever make them mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back