Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1. I know that one would normally say "I've decided to do something..." if one is talking about something they're going to do in the future that they haven't started doing yet.

2. I know that one would normally say "I've decided to do something..." if one is talking about something one is going to do in the future that one hasn't started doing yet.

I wrote sentence #1 when discussing the present perfect in the phrase "I've decided to do something...". I'm wondering about the pronouns I used. I know that if one uses the pronoun "one", then one has to say "one" further in the sentence if they decide to mention again the person that the first "one" refers to. It seemed to me though that in #2 "one" was really an overused pronoun, and that version #1 sounded better than version #2. Which version would you use?

I find the use of "one" overly formal and old-fashioned these days. I'd write:

I know we normally say "I've decided to do something ..." when talking about something we're going to do in the future but haven't yet started [doing].

3. I know that you normally say "I've decided to do something..." if you're talking about something you're going to do in the future but haven't yet started doing.

How do you like version #3?

I don't mind the "if you're" section but I'd use "we" at the beginning.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back