Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If I want to say that something is popular, like an album etc.,
can I say that the album is welcome? Or welcomed?
Or are they both not right?
Thanks!

The use of "welcome" or "welcomed" in the above context can indicate a positive initial reaction, e.g., from the fans.
What's the sentence you have in mind?

The use of "welcome" or "welcomed" in the above context can indicate a positive initial reaction, e.g., from the fans.
What's the sentence you have in mind?
Hi teechar,
What I'm thinking is that "This album is so popular/welcome that almost everyone in this country has a copy of it."
So are "welcome" or "welcomed" proper word choices here?

Hi teechar,
What I'm thinking of is [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "This album is so popular/welcome that almost everyone in this country has a copy of it."
So are "welcome" or "welcomed" [STRIKE]proper word[/STRIKE] appropriate choices here?
No. Use "popular."

That's not a correct usage of welcome.
Here is one: "When it finally came, the rain was welcome." 'Welcome' is an adjective.
"When it finally came, the rain was welcomed by the farmers." Here, 'welcomed' is a past participle (in a passive construction). The active is "The farmers welcomed the rain."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back