Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do we say "Something happened with someone" or "Something happened to someone"? Like "John got robbed yesterday while coming back home. This is what happened with him yesterday".

How about something that is a non living thing? Does the rule remain the same?

Say Something happened to John/my car/my dog yesterday.

Do we say "Something happened with someone" or "Something happened to someone"? [STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] For example, "John got robbed yesterday while coming back home. This is what happened with him yesterday".

How about something that is a non-living thing? Does the rule remain the same?

First, tufguy, well done on the correct punctuation of the quoted sentences above. It's good to see that you've learnt how to do that now. However, I note that in a few of your recent threads, you have started a sentence with "Like" before giving examples. That doesn't work. Please use "For example," and follow it with your examples. Make sure you include the comma.

If you want to use "like", it should come in the middle of a sentence. For example, "Can I say something like 'Something happened to someone'"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back