Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Context: A student is on a bus taking him and other students to school. At some point, he remembers something and laughs. The students sitting in seats close to the seat he's sitting in notice that he's laughing, and they don't know what he's laughing about. The sentence below is what follows.

Some (nearby) students (nearby) looked at him curiously.

Where should I place nearby? I know that if I place it before students, it's an adjective, whereas if I place it after students, it's an adverb. What I want to know is what sounds more natural in this case.

I would say:

Some nearby students looked at him curiously.

Of course, you could assume that only those who heard him would respond in that fashion. So you probably don't need nearby there.

Hm.

I'd place it afterwards.

I wouldn't use "nearby" for a proximity as close as two people on a bus. It tends to be used for longer distances and to talk about buildings etc. I'd say "Some students sitting near him looked at him curiously".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back