Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Biden singled out Florida and Texas, both GOP-led hot spots that have pushed back against coronavirus restrictions in recent days, which he said accounted for a third of all new COVID-19 cases in the entire country.

"Some governors aren’t willing to do the right things to make this happen," Biden told reporters after delivering remarks on his administration's COVID-19 response. "I say to these governors, please help. If you aren't going to help, at least get out of the way of the people who are trying to do the right thing. Use your power to save lives."

Source: USAToday Help or 'get out of the way:' Biden wades into state-level fights over COVID-19 rules

What does "this" refer to? Logically, it appears to mean "the successful control of the coronavirus or the pandemic." But "this" seems to me to be intrusive and come from nowhere. I am not sure what it should mean.

I think you're right that it just refers to "beating coronavirus". I've heard a few quotes containing things like "Let's get this done!" when referring to Covid-19 and there isn't always something to refer back to for "this".
However, if you go all the way back to the first paragraph of the piece you linked to, you'll find "implementing coronavirus mask and vaccine mandates". The reader could take "this" to refer to that. However, the only person who knows exactly what they meant is President Biden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back