Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you use such expressions in everyday speech?

• Bamboozled: tricked or deceived."I felt bamboozled by the salesperson who convinced me to buy that expensive gadget."
  • Buzzing: excited or energized.Example: "I'm buzzing after finishing my favorite TV show – what a great episode!"
  • Gobsmacking: utterly shocking or surprising ample: "The news about the new policy is gobsmacking – I had no idea it would be so drastic."
  • Hank Marvin: feeling miserable. "I've been feeling Hank Marvin all day after missing my flight."
  • Mardy: grumpy or irritable."Don't take it personally, he's just being mardy because he's having a bad day."
  • Minted: wealthy or rich. "He's minted – he just inherited a huge fortune from his parents."

I've used all of them at one time or another.

#4 is fairly well known although I don't know if the younger generation is being exposed to rhyming slang as much as my generation was.
#5 is a bit regional. I use it because I've got a lot of friends from the Midlands and the North. I never heard it in the south of England when I was a kid.
I'd probably use #3 as an adjective (ending -ed).

Once you've spent time counting down the lines of examples to match up my references to #3, #4 and #5, you'll realise why it would have been a good idea to number your list in the first place.

Hank Marvin: feeling miserable. "I've been feeling Hank Marvin all day after missing my flight."

This is totally wrong. 'Hank Marvin' (starving) means 'very hungry'.

I've never heard 'gobsmacking'. It's virtually always 'gobsmacked'.

I assumed the person was expecting to be fed on the plane and hadn't got anything else to eat, hence having been starving since missing the plane. @svetlana14 Why did you pick that context for your "I'm Hank Marvin" example?

@svetlana14 where did you find the sentences you provided as examples?

I'm sure it's from ChatGPT or similar.

What does that mean?! Please tell us clearly where the sentences come from.

I assumed the person was expecting to be fed on the plane and hadn't got anything else to eat, hence having been starving since missing the plane. @svetlana14 Why did you pick that context for your "I'm Hank Marvin" example?
I have instructed ChatGPT to generate them. But I doubted whether they could be used in everyday speech. That is why I am asking you. My previous message was technically produced - I started typing and something went wrong.

I have instructed ChatGPT to generate them no full stop here but I doubted whether they could be used in everyday speech. That is why I am asking asked you.
We're not here to correct ChatGPT's sentence. We're here to help learners with their own English. If you post text that was created by AI, you must tell us that in post #1. That allows users to decide for themselves whether they want to spend time on it. If I'd known you hadn't written the sentences in post #1 yourself, I wouldn't have responded.
My previous message was technically produced was caused by a technical issue - I started typing and something went wrong.
You've already deleted it so there's no need to refer to it again.

@svetlana14 where did you find the sentences you provided as exmples?

I'm sure it's from ChatGPT or similar.
Do you think that all of those sentences sound clumsy and unnatural so that
We're not here to correct ChatGPT's sentence. We're here to help learners with their own English. If you post text that was created by AI, you must tell us that in post #1. That allows users to decide for themselves whether they want to spend time on it. If I'd known you hadn't written the sentences in post #1 yourself, I wouldn't have responded.

You've already deleted it so there's no need to refer to it again.
I am very confused. I still do not understand why some teachers are still saying that AI is a very effective tool for learning English. For instance, In my particular case, I have just asked AI to propose some colloquial expressions with some examples. What is the extent within which you think I can address AI and ask you questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that all of those sentences sound clumsy and unnatural so that
You have failed to finish this sentence so I don't know what you're trying to say.
I am very confused. I still do not understand why some teachers are still saying that AI is a very effective tool for learning English. For instance, in my particular case, I have just asked AI to propose suggest some colloquial expressions with some examples. To what is the extent within which you think I can I address AI and ask you questions?
I suggest that, if you do that, you word your post something like this:

"I asked ChatGPT to come up with an example sentence using the word "bamboozling". This is the sentence it suggested. Before I go ahead and use it myself, can you tell me if the sentence is natural and in what context a native speaker might use it?"

Last edited by a moderator:
@svetlana14 Note that I have removed the link to the YouTube video.
Also, please do not answer my questions in future by quoting someone else's post. At least, have the courtesy to write a proper response.

@svetlana14 Note that I have removed the link to the YouTube video.
Also, please do not answer my questions in future by quoting someone else's post. At least, have the courtesy to write a proper response.
Do you mean the link to the YouTube video as quoting someone else's post? I always wrote a proper response in the past. Why do you think I didn't?

No.

Take a look at your response in post #11.
Honestly, I did know how it happened. Trust me I did not do it intentionally as it would be impolitely from my side. My sensitive panel is not working properly - you would have probably noticed that - some of my sentences were cut off. My apologies.

Honestly, I did don't know how it happened.
I take it that's what you mean.
Trust me; I did not do it intentionally, as it that would be have been impolite ly from on my part. side. My sensitive panel is not working properly - you would have probably noticed that - some of my sentences were cut off.
"Sensitive panel" doesn't make much sense. I think you mean "touch screen".
My apologies.
OK. Apology accepted.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back