Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about what I should call a work which I did by myself. Should it be a solo project, or a personal project, or an independent project or something else?

If it was related to work or school I would avoid personal, which has connotations of something done for pleasure or amusement. Solo and independent are both correct, but to me solo seems less formal, so my preference is for independent.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on the context of what kind of project you are talking about. If you are the singer in a band and you have done your own record, it would be a "solo project."

"Independent" implies that you are normally dependent on someone or something else.

"Personal" can imply that it is not a serious subject matter, not work-related.

I'm making a portfolio of my design works, which are stuff like furnitures or small buildings. Some of them have collaborators and some are my own works. So I guess "independent project" is better..., maybe?

Yes, "independent" is best there. For the works you did by yourself.

"Individual project", YES! And thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back