Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can understand the main idea of this writing - Even democratic systems can have different forms(America, Canada, Korea, Uk, etc have all different systems), but what do you mean by "socially oriented" here?

mo3-28
ex)Essentially the same structural forms of politics can nevertheless take on very different “flavors.” For example, a dictatorship can, in theory, be brutal or benevolent; anarchy can, in theory, consist of “mutual aid” or a “war of all against all” that proceeds in the absence of any rule of law whatsoever; democracies can and typically are distinguished in terms of the extent to which they are socially oriented as opposed to individualistically oriented. Thus, whatever our answer to the “What is the best structural form of politics?” question, we still want to know what “flavor” this structural form of politics ought to have since . Indeed,political structure, by itself, does not determine political content this is precisely why we vote within a democratic structure: to determine the “flavor” we want that democratic structure to have.

IMO, it means that democracies should put their stress in the well-being of people as a group (the social mass).

Greetings,

charliedeut

Probably. The extent of how devoted the governement is toward the good(benefit) of the whole people, I guess

Probably. The extent of how devoted the government is toward the good(benefit) of the people as a whole, I guess

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back