English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Hi everyone!

I've been away for a while, but now I get back with a simple (or silly) question: Why are "soap operas" called "Soap operas"? Has it anything to do with TV programmes for housewifes who wash and clean, etc???!!:roll:

Thanks for answering

seagull

I'm not a teacher ***

I guess you can say it does have something to do with washing and cleaning. Take a look here:

Soap opera - wiki - etymology

Hi everyone!

I've been away for a while, but now I get back with a simple (or silly) question: Why are "soap operas" called "Soap operas"? Has it anything to do with TV programmes for housewifes who wash and clean, etc???!!:roll:

Thanks for answering

seagull

The term comes from radio programs that preceded television but similar to those currently on daytime TV in that they had a continuing storyline and were most often sponsored by soap and detergent manufacturers. The term opera suggested only that the episodes were only slightly representative of an opera but none of them included singing or music except for background effect.

Of course they are commonly referred to now as "soaps" or "soapies".

Thanks a lot nyota. I've looked up on the site you suggested and I am now totally satisfied with the explanation!

XXXX
Seagull

The term comes from radio programs that preceded television but similar to those currently on daytime TV in that they had a continuing storyline and were most often sponsored by soap and detergent manufacturers. The term opera suggested only that the episodes were only slightly representative of an opera but none of them included singing or music except for background effect.

Thank you Billmcd!

Your answer was extremely useful!

Seagull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back