Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Plants roots soak up all water so that nothing will be left for other plants, so they are doomed to die. Do you say so in English?

Soak or soak up? When should we use just ''soak'' ?

Thank you so much for your response.

Plants roots soak up all water so that nothing will be left for other plants, so they are doomed to die.

I wouldn't use either "soak" or "soak up" in that sentence. Try this: "Some plants absorb all the available water, leaving nothing for other plants in the vicinity".

"Soak up" works for me.

"Soak up" works for me.

I agree. It suggest the roots of the plant more than the word "absorb" which could mean that the plants absorb moisture through their leaves, stalks and stems. If it's specifically roots, I would go for "soak up" or "draw up".

At the beginning of your sentence, it should either be "Plant roots..." or "Plants' roots..."

Roots absorb water, they don't soak it up. "Draw up" is OK

Plants roots soak up all water so that nothing will be left for other plants, so they are doomed to die. Do you say so in English?

The sentence, as posted, doesn't make sense without using "some plants" as bhaisahab has suggested.

Salt grass was planted along the coastline, but since it has a long deep root, it soaks up all water and brings death to other plants.

When I have to paraphrase, I have to use other verbs. Obviously, you see the verb ''absorb'' more than ''soak up'' in any context, but as SD and emsr2d2 said, it would be acceptable for the test raters.

I get everyone's point. Maybe I should say that whether it's absorb or soak up or draw up, I think it's important to specify that you're talking about the plant's roots, not just the plant.

I get everyone's point. Maybe I should say that whether it's absorb or soak up or draw up, I think it's important to specify that you're talking about the plant's roots, not just the plant.
Plants absorb water through their roots, not through their leaves or any other part.

Sorry, I don't want bargaining, but I remember I read about cacti somewhere that the roots of cacti soak up water. If it is wrong, could you please tell me which word should I use instead of ''absorb''.

Regards.

Sorry, I don't want bargaining, but I remember I read about cacti somewhere that the roots of cacti soak up water. If it is wrong, could you please tell me which word should I use instead of ''absorb''.

Regards.

There's really nothing wrong with any of them - absorb, soak up, draw up. The important thing is to make sure that you make it clear you're talking about the roots of the plant, not the whole plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back