Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It was a bright Monday. I was walking to my house when I saw a little girl by the side of the road. The poor kid was crying. I went to her and asked, ‟Hey, kid. Why are you crying?” The girl didn’t say a word. She just cried and cried. Then a man stopped his car and waved at the girl. She shook her head and stepped back. So, I barked, and the man drove away.
(quoted from an English textbook published by Kangxuan, Taiwan)

Are the two commas in the red sentence optional or obligatory?

The first comma is incorrect.

Is the narrator a dog?

Is the narrator a dog?

"So I barked" would suggest that that is the case but the rest of the story in the first person doesn't fit. A dog can't have asked her "Hey, kid. Why are you crying?"

Unless that's why the girl didn't respond - she didn't understand what the dog was saying.

My response was partially sarcastic to point out the use of 'barked', but I'm also allowing for the possibility that the story is first person from a dog's point of view, such as this novel.

Edit: I mean, we're already answering questions about talking seagulls comparing flying tips here, so now I really feel like my first post is a valid question. I may have to retract my sarcasm.

Last edited:
I think the voice here is actually meant to be a dog.

I also think the writer used the commas deliberately, for effect. The effect of using commas is to get the reader to pronounce the sentence in a certain way (i.e., with pauses before and after I barked). If that is the case, you can't argue that the commas are incorrect.

If that is the case, you can't argue that the commas are incorrect.
An ellipsis might have been a better choice than the first comma.

Yes, but that dog is not real. Roger, my talking cat, is.
;-)

(At school)
Rita: Did you see our school dog today?
Alan: Yes, I did. I saw Duke when I got to school. Scott was taking a walk with him then.
Rita: When was that?
Alan: It was at a quarter to eight. Why do you ask?
Rita: After I finished lunch, I went to the doghouse. I didn’t see Duke there. Now, it’s half past one, and his lunch is still there.
Alan: That’s strange. Duke seldom misses lunch.
(John walks by.)
Rita: Hey, John. Did you see Duke today?
John: Yes, I did. I saw him before Ms. Martin’s afternoon class began.
Rita: What was he doing?
John: He was having lunch when I saw him.
Alan: Really? Who was feeding him?
John: Ms. Li. Her daughter May got lost this morning, and Duke found her. So, she brought him a big meal.
Alan: Good job! I’m so proud of Duke.

(quoted from an English textbook published by Kangxuan, Taiwan)

Is the comma in the blue sentence optional or obligatory?

Last edited by a moderator:
John's line should be "Ms. Li. Her daughter May got lost this morning, and Duke found her, so she brought him a big meal."

Last edited by a moderator:
There shouldn't be a comma in "Now it's half past one" either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back