Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
snake-like vs. snakelike

I'm unsure when to write words with the suffixes "like" and "esque" with or without a hypen and I wonder if there's patterns or general rules to follow. I've found in this style guide, "write most words formed with prefixes and suffixes as one word". Is that all I need to remember besides single words written with a hyphen?

Your spell checker or an online dictionary will tell you all you need to know about spelling. If you are creating a new word then I guess you can spell it any way you like.

Why would you need to know how to use the "esque" suffix?

I'm unsure when to write words with the suffixes "like" and "esque" with or without a hypen and I wonder if there's patterns or general rules to follow.

If there is a rule, I'd say it's this: Form it as one word unless there's a reason not to. Such a reason would be that it makes it hard to read in some way. Clarity is the principle to follow, more than simplicity or style.

If you are creating a new word then I guess you can spell it any way you like.
Great.
Your spell checker or an online dictionary will tell you all you need to know about spelling.
I'm on Windows so I don't have a spell checker in most applications and I don't like to look up more words since I'm doing that too much already. But sure, if there's no rules besides what I mentioned, I don't have a choice.
Why would you need to know how to use the "esque" suffix?
Is there anything wrong with that suffix? I sometimes like using it for variety* instead of "like".
If there is a rule, I'd say it's this: Form it as one word unless there's a reason not to. Such a reason would be that it makes it hard to read in some way. Clarity is the principle to follow, more than simplicity or style.
And such reason would be eg the word being overly long, I assume.** What else?

* and **: Hit the like-button if this sounded natural.

**if there aren't any rules....

It (esque) is very rarely used as a suffix.

Last edited:
It's fine to use it sparingly - see this page for some guidance and input. It's fairly common to use it to invent new (sometimes tongue-in-cheek) words that you're unlikely to find in a dictionary, especially for droll comedic effect.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back