Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if the following sentences are correct:
1.People might get sick or even die because of the bad habit. (=smoking)
2.These ads show famous people smoke and that gives a message as if smoking is a way to success and fame.
3.They(= cigarettes ads) don't refer to the danger of smoking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, everyone!
I was wondering if the following sentences are correct:

1. space here People might get sick or even die because of the bad habit. (=smoking)
2. space here These ads show famous people smoke and that gives a message as if smoking is a way to success and fame.
3. space here They space here (= cigarettes cigarette ads) don't refer to the dangers of smoking.
1. As long as you have previously made it clear that "the bad habit" is smoking, then it's OK. I'd probably use "their" instead of "the".
2. No. "as if" doesn't work after "gives a message". Use "gives the message that" or "suggests that" smoking ...
With reference to the start of the sentence, as long as you mean "These ads show that famous people smoke ...", it's fine. If not, you need "These ads show famous people smoking ...".
3. As long as you have previously mentioned "cigarette ads", it's OK although I'd use "mention" rather than "refer to".

1. As long as you have previously made it clear that "the bad habit" is smoking, then it's OK. I'd probably use "their" instead of "the".
2. No. "as if" doesn't work after "gives a message". Use "gives the message that" or "suggests that" smoking ...
With reference to the start of the sentence, as long as you mean "These ads show that famous people smoke ...", it's fine. If not, you need "These ads show famous people smoking ...".
3. As long as you have previously mentioned "cigarette ads", it's OK although I'd use "mention" rather than "refer to".
Thanks for the helpful tips.
But can I use "die from their bad habit" instead of "die because of their habit"? And which one is more natural?
One last thing, is it OK to say " a ban would save a lot of lives" instead of "a ban on cigarette ads would save lives"?

Thanks for the helpful tips no full stop here but can I use "die from their bad habit" instead of "die because of their habit"? And Which one is more natural?
You can use "die because of/from their [bad] habit". They all lead to grammatical sentences. I'd prefer the more direct and simple "People can get sick or die from smoking".
One last thing, Is it OK to say "a ban would save a lot of lives" instead of "a ban on cigarette ads would save lives"?
As long as it's clear you're talking about ban on those ads, yes.

Perhaps:

The ads show famous people smoking. That makes it seem like smoking is the thing to do.

You don't expect ads for a product to mention the drawbacks, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back