Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there a word for "small pieces of hair on a person after getting a haircut"? What can I use instead of "pieces of hair" in this sentence?

Having finished the haircut, the barber brushed pieces of hair from his face and took off the cape around him.

Is there a word for "small pieces of hair on a person after getting a haircut"?
No.

Edit: Hold on. See Rover's post below.

Having finished the haircut, the barber brushed pieces of hair from his face and took off the cape around him.
After cutting his hair, the barber brushed bits of hair off his face and took the cape off.

Last edited:
Or loose hair.

clippings
Is this okay?

Having finished the haircut, the barber brushed hair clippings off his face and took the cape off.

Is this okay?

Having finished the haircut, the barber brushed hair clippings off his face and took the cape off.
You need to ensure it's clear that the barber has just cut someone else's hair. As it stands, the "his" refers to the barber! Use "off the client's face" or similar.

To avoid the repetition of "off", I'd end with "and removed the [protective] cape".

You need to ensure it's clear that the barber has just cut someone else's hair. As it stands, the "his" refers to the barber! Use "off the client's face" or similar.

To avoid the repetition of "off", I'd end with "and removed the [protective] cape".
Having finished the haircut, the barber brushed hair clippings off Jim's face and removed the protective cape.

@alpacinou That's good. (I'm trying to remember if that has ever happened to me. I think that if any hair got on my face it was only a strand or two. Anything more than that will not stay on your face. Gravity will take care of that )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back