Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?

A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?

You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.

You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.

Is there an adjective which can be used instead of "small-size" ?

(Not a teacher)

To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?

I agree. One year we were lucky and there were only 17 students in my daughter's class. The teacher had a small class. This year, there are 27. It's a large class. No need for "size."

(Not a teacher)

To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?

Small-size class was only a suggestion, otherwise a class with a few students (small in number) can be termed as a small class. However ‘size’ is used to explain the utility of smallness related to methods of teaching, as in this site: Small-Size Classes (A-46)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back