Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about a five years old child, does "sleek figure", "she's sleek" and "looks good" sound natural? Is the indefinite article optional before "nose"?

She has a round face and a straight nose. She has a beautiful sleek figure/ she's sleek and always looks nice.

When talking about a five-year-old child, do es "sleek figure", "she's sleek" and "looks good" sound natural? Is the indefinite article optional before "nose"?

She has a round face and a straight nose. She has a beautiful sleek figure/ she's sleek and always looks nice.
That's grammatical. Whether it's appropriate depends on the context. What do you have in mind?

That's grammatical. Whether it's appropriate depends on the context. What do you have in mind?
I mean she's tall for her age and slim.

Is the article optional before"nose"?

I would use it.

When talking about a five-year-old child, does "sleek figure", "she's sleek" and "looks good" sound natural? Is the indefinite article optional before "nose"?

They are not natural to me.

It's not optional.

That would come across as really creepy if I said that.

What do you mean when you say she has a straight nose? It's not crooked?

They are not natural to me.

It's not optional.

That would come across as really creepy if I said that.

What do you mean when you say she has a straight nose? It's not crooked?
I mean it's small and straight. Can I just say she's slim? That probably won't sound creepy.

I mean it's small and straight. Can I just say she's slim? That probably WOULDN'T sound creepy.
If she's five then everything about her is small.

I guess you could say she's tall for her age and rather slim.

I guess you mean to say her nose is narrow.

If she's five, I wouldn't use "slim" either. And I'd advise against referring to her "figure". The word "figure" while describing a female physique is used with reference to adult women, or girls past puberty at any rate.

I mean she's tall for her age and slim.
She's tall for her age and thin. Some people might object to 'thin' but I think it's ok here.
I mean it's small and straight.
Perhaps you mean "sharp"?

She has a beautiful sleek figure/ she's sleek and always looks nice.
Don't say this about a five year old. As someone else said, it sounds strange, and yes, a little creepy.

If a five year old looks nice, it's because of his/her parents' efforts. Left to themselves, most five year olds would look quite messy. The way you said "(she) always looks nice" sounds as if she takes care of her looks. Five year olds don't care about their looks, and they don't take care of them by themselves.

If you're describing a five year old, use very plain, simple language. She's small for her age. She's thin. She's plump. She's cute. She's naughty.

She's just five years old. Don't use terms that you'd use for an adult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back