Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Following Rover's latest comment in the part two of my essay, I've taken a look at some threads here, and it appears that it isn't the first time you've railed against slang. I'm not sure why you view it in a negative light, but your assertion that its use should be discouraged is reductive at best. I don't see a problem with learners like me using slang, so long as we use it in the appropriate context. Besides, slang is a fundamental part of any language, particularly on the internet and in casual conversations where it's notably prevalent. Being acquainted with it guarantees that one becomes fluent.

Following Rover's latest comment in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] part two/the second part of my essay, I've taken a look at some threads here, and it appears that it isn't the first time you've railed against slang. I'm not sure why you view it in a negative light, but your assertion that its use should be discouraged is reductive at best. I don't see a problem with learners like me using slang, so long as we use it in the appropriate context. Besides, slang is a fundamental part of any language, particularly on the internet and in casual conversations where it's notably prevalent. Being acquainted with it guarantees that one becomes fluent.

We tend to discourage learners from using it until they reach a certain level of fluency. Trying to incorporate it too early in one's learning isn't necessarily helpful. I agree that it's important to be able to recognise it but, in all honesty, some slang sounds ridiculous when used by someone whose general English level isn't particularly high. I would say that your level allows for its use but you still need to be aware of your audience. If you use slang correctly in conversation with native speakers, they'll understand. If you use it in conversation with other learners, particularly those of a lower level, you just run the risk of confusing them.

Note: Absolutely nothing guarantees that one will become fluent in a second language.

I would say it is also a hazard to not know when slang is appropriate and when it isn't. Especially with different audiences and speakers.

Trying to use slang that is common in one ethnic or social group when you are not a member of that groups can be seen as offensive. Or ridiculous, like when parents try to sound cool by using slang that their children use.

Last edited:
Nor is it possible to be certain what is offensive in a non-native language . Apparently the little "Shave and a haircut two bits" melody, quite innocuous in the USA, is a deadly insult in Mexico. Similary, probably the worst thing you can call a Spaniard is gilipollas, but that word is totally unknown in Mexico. Learners of any second language should therefore avoid slang.

Is this a reference to Thanks, dude?

No. If memory serves me, what he wrote was "them suggestions are totally lit", without any punctuation. I deleted the post.

It began with Thanks, dude. I don't feel strongly on the issue, but I wouldn't hold it up as an example of appropriately used slang.

I'll play devil's advocate.

I agree that it's important to be able to recognise it but, in all honesty, some slang sounds ridiculous when used by someone whose general English level isn't particularly high. I would say that your level allows for its use but you still need to be aware of your audience.

I heartily agree with all of this, including the part where you suggested Silverhand shows enough fluency to use slang effectively. When someone shows this level of fluency, IMO there's no reason to discourage slang. It's an advanced topic, but personally I'd welcome slang as a subject to analyze and help out with on this forum.

Language learning can be fun and interesting, and slang enhances the fun for many people. Additionally, my experience is that native speakers often love it when learners use slang effectively.

Some of the arguments in this thread against slang seem to be arguments against even fluent speakers using slang, which IMO is over the top. Of course it's possible to not be aware of cultural and cross-group differences in how slang will be perceived. We're all learning as we go.

I see nothing to suggest that this was a good example of slang in use. I'm not against slang, but this was not how to do it.

I think both sides made good points here. Yes, slang is a big part of the language in every country, and ESL students will inevitably encounter it when talking to a native speaker, so they should be acquainted with it. And yes, it is best to fully understand the cultural context first. “Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back