Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
hi
I would like to know if this sentence is correct "sitting a competitive examination for the position of "
thanks

"sitting a competitive examination for the position of " is not a complete sentence.

Do you mean "to take" an exam?

After taking the competitive exam for the position of assistant, I will know if I will stay in New York.

In BrE you can 'sit' an exam. It's fairly formal.

"She sits her exams while reading biology." This sentence means something very different to an AmE speaker ;-) (Actually, I'm not 100% sure it means anything to a Brit. :-D)

It doesn't mean anything to me.

It certainly doesn't to me.

So, can I say"I'm sitting a competitive examination for the position of economic analyst"? (british)
thankssss!

sorry,
So, can I say"I'm sitting a competitive examination for the position of economist analyst"?

If you're actually in competition with some other people for the job, and the person who gets the highest score on the exam will get the job, then I don't see why you can't say it.

It sounds like a rather odd recruitment process to me though. Normally, we take our exams at school/college/university and then apply for a job which we get (or don't get) based on our qualifications and how well we do at the interview. Some jobs require you to do some kind of aptitude or competency test to see how well you deal with certain situations but sitting a whole exam alongside other people to get a job seems rather harsh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back