Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On the tag of Lipton tea bag)

"Sip back and relax"
------------

I know the word "sip", but what does "sip back" mean? Does it come from "Sit back and relax"?

------------
(Source)

mFdHFv6.jpg

Yes, it's a pretty poor pun on "Sit back and relax".

Off-topic - Lipton tea is revolting, insipid stuff! Any self-respecting Brit takes their own teabags on holiday if they're going somewhere where they know that Lipton is the only brand that's going to be available to them in local shops!

:lol:

If you order tea in an American restaurant you're likely to get a metal pitcher of water which was already well below boiling when it was filled and a Lipton tea bag or worse. It's impossible to make anything remotely approaching a decent cup of tea with that.

If you order tea in an American restaurant you're likely to get a metal pitcher of water which was already well below boiling when it was filled and a Lipton tea bag or worse. It's impossible to make anything remotely approaching a decent cup of tea with that.

Good info, but I'll stick to Miller Lite. :)

I think it's a pretty good play-on-words, actually.

The words sit back and sip back are pronounced the same way, if you didn't know.

Sip back does not sound natural though.

Puns are not intended to 'sound natural'.

I thought it is not a pun since a different word is used which sounds like the original. What do you call it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back