Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III tweeted:
It was my honor to meet with Prime Minister @leehsienloong today. Singapore's leadership plays a very important role in advancing the shared principles that maintain regional stability, and I deeply value the strong partnership between us. (Video: Prime Minister’s Video Office)

Foy replies:
I’m looking forward @SecDef to you Signing more really good f**king things. I’m grateful for you and your service to our collective Humanity.

Source: Twitter

Does the phrase "really good f**king things" show a cynical attitude that is neither sincere nor kind-hearted but sarcastic? The use of f word appears to be very rude, yet the rest of the tweet seems to be very normal and good wishing. I am confused, not knowing how to understand this twitter: Is it a ridicule? Or is it a congratulation in a rude manner (but still can be seen as a genuine gesture to admire the SecDef)?

Last edited by a moderator:
We can use the word as an intensifier.

It was great!
It was f**king great!

In the original, I would say that Foy doesn't just think they'll be signing more "really good things" (whatever that means), but "exceptionally good things", expressed by "really good f**king things". Having said that, in BrE at least, it would be more natural as "really f**king good things".

Would a well-educated person use f word this way? Does the phrase show Foy to be less-educated?

It is increasingly used in contexts where you would not have seen it- you will find it in serious newspapers, and not just in quotes. This, however, appears to be a childish example to me- I can't see a good reason to use it in an area where things should be diplomatic. Your link is dead, which suggests the tweet didn't last a day.

Would a well-educated person use the F-word this way? Does the phrase show Foy to be less-educated?

Lots of people swear, regardless of their level of education. It doesn't tell us anything about Foy's education.

Would a well-educated person use f word this way? Does the phrase show Foy to be less-educated?
It's not a matter of education. It's a matter of manners. It doesn't mean Foy is uneducated.

However, there are several mistakes in Foy's note. So we can assume that Foy is both ill-mannered and careless.

Who on earth is Foy anyway? The original tweet was from Secretary of Defense Lloyd J Austin III (I'm assuming he's American), addressed to Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore. Was there no reply tweet from the PM? Is Foy part of the PM's team? If not, who is he/she and why does their opinion or language matter?

My bad- it's a random person on Twitter- I thought it was someone involved. Twitter is full of people without manners.

Last edited:
Yep. I take back what I said. Foy is an idiot.

Hey, GoodTaste, here's a good word to look up: recant.

No one uses it, but it's a great word, anyway.

Hey, GoodTaste, here's a good word to look up: recant.

No one uses it, but it's a great word, anyway.
I think it's a pretty common word that belongs in every advanced learner's vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back