[Essay] Should old buildings be protected or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polina Sol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm learning to write essays and would be grateful for any suggestions. :shock:

Many old buildings protected by low are part of a nation’s history. Some people think they should be knocked down and replaced by news ones. How important is to maintain old buildings? Should history stand in the way of progress?

A lot of historical buildings are retained by people because of their national value. Although some people tend to think that old houses are weak ones, having nothing useful, that should be demolished, I am inclined to believe that aged buildings should be protected and saved.
At first, old places always attract many tourists from all over the world and this brings a major part of income to city budget. Moreover, cities, in whose were combined historical places and modern buildings, are unique and contrast as well. This can be seen by looking at Paris, Budapest, London cities and many others. Furthermore, these houses give insight into history for everybody, who visited them.
Secondly, longstanding buildings are our heritage and tangible past, so they need maintaining. In most countries, age-old buildings are considered to be inherent part of the culture self-identifying. Besides, I suppose, even eyesore buildings should be preserved, because you will never know what you destroy, demolishing old building that could turn out to have historical significance. Ones having ruined it, you would lost it forever.
Finally, old time architecture could inspire people to use something from this in modern designing of buildings, which could lead to inimitable, excellent city style that again would call a lot of attention. Meanwhile, pubs, libraries, cafes and other used to rent old buildings on considerations of better quality of constructions and interiors that are more suitable.
To conclude, I want to say that history is equal to progress and it is highly important to retain old building because they are part of our history and of our past. Moreover, old place could bring something useful to our future, for example, filling out city budget through development of tourism.

I'm learning to write essays and would be grateful for any suggestions. :shock:

Many old buildings protected by law are part of a nation’s history. Some people think they should be knocked down and replaced by news ones. How important is to maintain old buildings? Should history stand in the way of progress?

A lot of historical buildings are retained by people because of their national value. Although some people tend to think that old houses are weak ones, having nothing useful, that should be demolished, I am inclined to believe that aged buildings should be protected and saved.
I would leave a space between paragraphs. Some white space is needed to rest the readers eyes.

At first, old places always attract many tourists from all over the world and this brings a major part of income to city budget. Moreover, cities in whose were combined historical places and modern buildings are unique and contrast as well. This can be seen by looking at Paris, Budapest, London [STRIKE]cities [/STRIKE]and many other cities. Furthermore, these houses give insight into history for everybody who visited them.
No comma after 'cities'. Look up "restrictive or defining clauses". Also, no comma after 'everybody' (same reason).

Secondly, longstanding buildings are our heritage and tangible past, so they need maintaining. In most countries, age-old buildings are considered to be an inherent part of the culture[STRIKE] self-identifying[/STRIKE]. Besides, I suppose even eyesore buildings should be preserved, because you [STRIKE]will [/STRIKE]never know what you destroy, demolishing old building that could turn out to have historical significance. [STRIKE]Ones[/STRIKE] Once having ruined it, you [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] have lost it forever.

Finally, old time architecture could inspire people to use something from this in modern designing of buildings, which could lead to inimitable, excellent city style that again would call a lot of attention. Meanwhile, pubs, libraries, cafes and other used to rent old buildings on considerations of better quality of constructions and interiors that are more suitable.

To conclude, I [STRIKE]want to say[/STRIKE] believe that history is equal to progress and it is highly important to retain old buildings because they are part of our history and of our past. Moreover, old places could bring something useful to our future, for example, filling out city budget through development of tourism.
There's a start. There are a few errors I haven't corrected - mainly in style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back