[Grammar] Should I use "quitted" as past participle of "quit"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have quitted my job.

Because that's what google suggested. Just google "quit definition" and then just click the down arrow where (Translations, word origin, and more definitions) is written. Now scroll up to the top of the page and see there. This is what it says.

quit[SUP]1[/SUP]

kwɪt/

verb

verb: quit; 3rd person present: quits; past tense: quit; past participle: quit; past tense: quitted; past participle: quitted; gerund or present participle: quitting

But when I write "quitted" anywhere the spell checker rejects it and the red line appears under this word.

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

The past tense and past participle of quit are both quit.

"Quitted is more often used as a synonym for "left", as in John finally "quitted Cleveland", but it is not common.

Last edited:
Quit is a rather long-established verb, in which case you get two different past simple and past participle forms to choose from. In modern English, you don't make any newly coined verbs irregular, so you stick with tweeted rather than tweet as a past form.

Yes, but the quitted form is dying out- I haven't heard it used for a long time.

I have never used "quitted," and never will. My browser doesn't even recognize it as a word.

Some dictionaries give 'quitted' as an alternative form.

Yup. It's like orientated and preventative. Some folks will tell you that you can use them, but why would you?

Who thinks "preventative" isn't a word? :shock: Both "preventive" and "preventative" are listed in my dictionary (and in most of the online dictionaries I checked).

Who thinks "preventative" isn't a word? :shock:

I don't know. Shall we assemble a search party?

Both "preventive" and "preventative" are listed in my dictionary (and in most of the online dictionaries I checked).

Right. I think you read something I didn't write. I'm on your side. All three are words. But why use them when we have the far more elegant, concise, and mellifluous "quit," "preventive," and "orient"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back