Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I use "deep pockets" to suggest people are in good shape in terms of purchasing power?

Is this correct and natural?

This is a great shopping mall for those shoppers with deep pockets.

This is a great shopping mall for [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] shoppers with deep pockets.
It is now. You could also say "for those shoppers who have deep pockets", but that's in a rather formal register that most native speakers wouldn't use.

People with short arms long/deep pockets are mean with money.

Hello.

Can I use "deep pockets" to suggest people are in good shape in terms of purchasing power?

This is a great shopping mall for those shoppers with deep pockets.

There is ambiguity as it could be interpteted as you intend or as meaning that the shoppers are reluctant to spend. I would avoid the expression.

I've never seen it used that way. Instead, someone with deep pockets has plenty of money to spend. Example:

Somebody who can buy an NFL franchise has deep pockets.

My first thought was that the shoppers in question were stingy/thrifty/mean.

Is this an American English/British English difference?

It seems that way. However, Tdol was right to point out that the full phrase is "short arms and deep pockets".

It seems that way. However, Tdol was right to point out that the full phrase is "short arms and deep pockets".

That was part of the reason for my question. That's a phrase that's unfamiliar to me.

My first thought was that deep pockets means plenty of money.

My first thought was that deep pockets means plenty of money.

What do you think about this?

Only shoppers with deep pockets can afford to buy from this store.

That would avoid the potential ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back