[Grammar] She is pregnant with second child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjitsharma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know about this sentence " she is pregnant with second child in instagram snap" why the definite article is not used with the word second when it should be used according to the rule.

Re: Article.

I would like to know about this sentence " she is pregnant with second child in instagram snap" why the definite article is not used with the word second when it should be used according to the rule.

Welcome arjitsharma. The sentence you would like to know about should read "She is pregnant with her second child" and in "this" or "the" Instagram snap.

Last edited:

Is this sentence wrong " Helel skelton reveals she is pregnant with cute family instagram snap". I saw it on the celebrity news. If the sentence is correct, I would like to know why the definite is omitted in the sentence when the article should be used according to the rule. I asked this question before but I didn't specify it.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

I would like to know about this sentence: "She is pregnant with second child in Instagram snap". Why ​is the definite article [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] not used with the word "second" when it should be used according to the rule?

Is this sentence wrong? "Helen Skelton reveals she is pregnant with cute family Instagram snap". I saw it on the celebrity news. If the sentence is correct, I would like to know why the definite article is omitted in the sentence when the article should be used according to the rule. I asked this question before but I didn't specify it. (I don't know what you mean by the underlined part.)

Note my comment and corrections above. Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.

Which "rule" are you referring to? Where do you want to put the definite article in your second example?

Is this sentence wrong "Helen Skelton reveals she is pregnant with cute family Instagram snap". I saw it on the celebrity news.
Articles are normally omitted from headlines, which are written in a special compact style.

Even if it wasn't a headline, there is no place in the Helen Skelton example for the definite article.

Even if it wasn't a headline, there is no place in the Helen Skelton example for the definite article.

I suspect arjitsharma meant to say indefinite article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back